RE: [MV] color of WW2 gensets

From: Adams-Graf, John (John.Adams-Graf@fwpubs.com)
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 06:52:04 PDT

Terry:
Here is the link to a good article on paint color evolution that had appeared in Military Vehicles Magazine some time ago about paint color evolution:
http://www.collect.com/interest/article.asp?Pub=MV&id=4600

Also, there is an excellent synopsis of the evolution in the Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles, SECOND EDITION by David Doyle (pages 480-502).

Incidentally, the specification for that created the number "A/N 319" was introduced in January 1943 ("A/N" meaning "Army/Navy"). It was not adopted by the Army Air Corps because it did not inhibit infrared detection. It was the same color as Olive Drab number 22--just a new designation.

Olive Drab no. 22 was a designation created by the Quartermaster Corps in October 1940. The paint was to be made according to ES-474 ("Engineering Specification"). ES-474 was later replaced by ES-680.

In October 1942, responsibility for paint shifted BACK to the Corps of Engineers. They referred to their own specifications, Spec 3-1. Though the color was the same as Olive Drab no. 22, the Corps of Engineers had its own name: "No. 9 Olive Drab." The spec was updated to Corps of Engineers standards and adopted as "Specification 3-1F/Color Car Supplement (Revision 1)." This was issued on April 21, 1943

Before I go on...a bit of review:
Outbreak of World War II: All vehicles painted in Olive Drab No. 22

Olive Drab No. 22 is the same as No. 9 Olive Drab. A/N 319 Olive Drab is the same color as Olive Drab 22.

End of World War II: All vehicles painted in Olive Drab No. 22 (the same as No. 9 or A/N 319. One color, three names.)

SO....up until August 1, 1945, when Army Regulation 850-15 introduced a semigloss Olive Drab (for the very first time), all vehicles were painted in the same color (though the NAME of the color changed three times in four years).

Bear in mind, too, that AR 850-15 stated CLEARLY that vehicles were only to be repainted in semigloss when repainting was otherwise required. the September 1945 issue of Army Motors noted that the semigloss would not be available for 60-90 days. SO, during WWII, NO semigloss was approved for use on vehicles.

The rest of the story...In 1950, No. 22 Olive Drab was renamed "Olive Drab no. 3412". The semigloss specified in AR 850-15 was named "Olive Drab no. 2430". OD 2430 was the standard color of U.S. vehicles until 1956.

Hope this helps
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA