Re: [MV] CDL's & MV's VERY LONG hit DELETE NOW

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 09:59:58 PDT

Ryan,

I have to agree with most of your thoughts here. But, if you read my entire
and very lengthy post, at the beginning I stated that it was the Manual used
by MARYLAND. And as you have pointed out yourself, the states can make
adjustments.

What I wrote about my "belief" that larger trucks must have CDL for the
driver is, in my opinion the obvious conclusion BASED on printed documents
from the State of Maryland, which I quoted.

It is also clearly Not the Federal Regulations and I have not looked at the
Federal Regulations therefore will not comment on them.

Remember, as you also pointed out ... the states can be MORE strict than the
federal government but NOT LESS strict than the federal government. (unless
this has been allowed for specifically in the particular law or regulation)

It goes the same way with state vs. local jurisdictions, at least here in
Maryland.

Have a great weekend, Bill.

At 11:53 PM -0400 4/28/05, Bill Kealey wrote:

>Anything larger, regardless of how it is registered, I believe must also
>include a CDL for the driver.

NO. I have stated this before and I'll state it
again. Read the federal regulations. They do not
hinge on equipment for the final determination of
CDL requirements under federal law. They hinge on
use. Read the FMCSR 390.3 (f). Read the guidance.