Re: [MV] CDL's & MV's VERY LONG hit DELETE NOW

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 20:53:10 PDT

> did we figure out what was the final word on needing a CDL?? Here is
> my queston.........I bought a 5 ton tractor in NH, she is still registered
> in that state, I want to get it home to vt.........do I need it? I am
> assuming yes

*************************************

I have the "Maryland Commercial Driver's License Manual" right here and this
is what it says for Commercial Drivers licensed in Maryland.

"A commercial motor vehicle means a motor vehicle or combination of motor
vehicles used to transport passengers or cargo if the vehicle fits any of
the following conditions.

* Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight (GCW) of
26,001 or more pounds
* A vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 26,001 or more pounds (GVW
for a single vehicle and GCW for a combination of vehicles means: The
greatest of the following weights. (1) The value specified by the
manufacture as the maximum gross weight, (2) the operating weight, (3) the
registered gross weight.)
* any vehicle which is designed to transport 16 or more passengers,
including the driver.
* A vehicle of any size which transports hazardous materials which requires
placarding.

Waivers have been granted for the operation of some vehicles. You are not
required to have a Commercial Driver's License to drive a vehicle granted a
waiver. However, you must have a Maryland non-commercial driver's license
of the appropriate class to operate a vehicle which has been waived.

The following vehicles have been waived from CDL requirements in Maryland:

* A vehicle that is owned and opeated by a farmer:
--- used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm
supplies to or from a farm;
--- not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
--- used within 150 miles of the person's farm.
* An emergency vehicle:
--- equipped with audible and visual signals;
--- opereated by a member of or a person in the employ of a volunteer or
paid fire or rescue organization.
* A vehicle owned by the United States Department of Defense if it is
controlled and operated by:
--- any active duty military personnel; or
--- any member of the military reserves or national guard on active duty,
including personnel on full-time national guard duty,
      personnel on part-time training, and national guard military
technicians.
--- A motor vehicle designed and constructed primarily to provide temporary
living quarters for recreational, camping, or
     travel use."

THEN it goes on to say on a later page:

"There is a federal requirement that each state have minimum standards for
the licensing of commercial drivers. This manual provides driver license
testing information for drivers who wish to have a Commercial Driver License
(CDL). This manual does NOT provide information on all the federal and
state requirements needed before you can drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle
(MV). You may have to contact your state driver licensing authority for
additional information.

You must have a CDL to operate:

* A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than
26,000 pounds.
* A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination
weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.
* A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the
driver).
* Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards."

************************

In Maryland, the 2-1/2 ton trucks (highway rated at 5 tons) fit into the
catagory of vehicles rated at 26,000 pounds or less and since the M105
trailers are rated at 1-1/2 (highway rated at 3 tons (?)) these vehicles are
exempt from CDL.

UNLESS it is used commercially or transporting more than 15 persons
including the driver.

There is no difference for historic tags as to the CDL requirements.

My M35A2 is registered "historic". My insurance company will only insure it
as "Commercial". I do not use it commercially at all. Therefore, I am not
required to have a CDL in Maryland.

Anything larger, regardless of how it is registered, I believe must also
include a CDL for the driver.

Just my .5 cents worth give or take.

Bill Kealey

MVPA #24623
1954 Willys M38A1 USMC jeep
1972 AM Gen M35A2 USA 2-1/2 ton truck w/winch
1985 Turtle Mountain MFG. M105A2 USAF 1-1/2 ton trailer