Re: [MV] color of WW2 gensets Now A/N 319 paint

From: Terry & Carolyn Welshans (welshans2@comcast.net)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 16:50:44 PDT

John said:
==============
Terry, You are most welcome for the info...Hope it helps. There are several
great dealers who supply paint who advertise in Military Vehicles Magazine.
If you don't subscribe, send me a note off-list with your address and I will
be more than happy to send you a copy (same goes for anyone else on the
list!). You will find lots of good info to help you in your restoration.

As for A/N 319...yes that is what several dealers simply list as "319". Of
course, one paint manufacturer's idea of 319 doesn't always match another
manufacturer's idea of the color!

John A-G
Iola, WI USA
==============

John, the paint I am looking at is from GCI and is sold by one of those
dealers. That dealer also has a special mix that I spoke of.

Now - a discovery today:

I was looking over several of the panels I have removed and started
prepping. One of those parts has a very nice layering as I sanded it. I
can see each strata of paint all the way from bare metal to the current
color. The order, starting at bare metal is: Red Oxide type primer. A
light Olive Drab (the original finish), a darker Olive Drab (from a rebuild
between 1945 and 1956) primer gray and yellow (from the 1956 rebuild at
POD.)

The first OD layer matches the GCI 319 exactly. The dark OD layer matches
the custom mix exactly.

My son and I talked this over today and decided to paint it as it left the
factory, so it will be with GCI 319. The paint will be ordered Monday.
Right, wrong? - I don't know. As you said, I am the one painting it this
time. The next guy can paint it any color he wants.

Regards,

Terry Welshans
Homer Glen, Illinois

"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest. "
Mark Twain (1835-1910)