Re: [MV] Are we going to let this happen? AND some MV related also.

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 09:37:04 PDT

Mark, (IMHO) is 100% correct here.

I have two children in school. One in Kindergarten and the other in Middle
School.

We also had some problems with the way school was handling things going on
and still do not agree with everything or everyone there. However, we
decided to get involved with the way things were being done and not through
the PTA which has been a dismal failure in our opinions (my wife and I). In
fact, here, the local PTA was disbanded a couple of years ago to make a
locally organized Parent Teacher Organization in which it involves ONLY the
indivual school and has no affiliation with county, state or national
political organizations and NO administrative cost. Everything is done
strictly by volunteers giving freely to help make things better for the
students and teachers of this one school. My wife and I visit the schools
regularly and just talk to the principals, teachers and other staff. If
they need something that the budget or school board BS dosen't allow, we try
to obtain it on our own. No strings attached. We were shocked to learn how
much the teachers were buying out of their own pockets to educate our
Children. Our principal is currently looking to purchase USED books as the
school board is only able to provide money for some new books in some
schools.

And most importantly ... we discovered that WE WERE WRONG in most of our
beliefs about the teachers, and other staff at the schools. The individual
schools administrations do have their hands tied and have to be extremely
careful how they deal with parent complaints as they get very little public
support and the school board is strictly political and will not support them
either.

The teachers and principals of both schools also know that we will do
everything in our power to ruin the day of any school member who treats our
children inappropriately and that goes equally for any child in the school
system. Our sons are not perfect and have been in trouble themselves.
After listening to both sides of the story, so far, we have supported the
disciplinary actions that the schools have done with our children including
one suspension. That child, in the sixth grade was getting C's and D's the
first semester of the school year and is now getting straight A's. Oh, and
the kid he punched out is his best buddy now. <smile>

Now, the school board and other REMF's have not done a thing to change our
opinions of themselves. Example: The highly paid president of the school
board is the one who makes the decisions as to whether or not schools are
closed or delayed due to winter weather conditions. However, I have also
been told that he spends his winters in Florida. We are in the Maryland
Mountains. A slight difference in weather conditions. <grin> He also,
reportedly does not allow telephone calls until the appointed hour as it
disturbes his sleep. So, when the surrounding areas school closures are
announced ... ours are always an hour or so later. Dosen't bother me
directly other than the kids could sleep in if we knew sooner. But, I am
retired and my wife is a stay home mom. One of our best friends is a school
bus driver. She has to clear off the bus, get it warmed up, get her two
elementary school kids dressed and fed and into the bus for her route as she
also takes them to school and gets on the road usually to find out that
school is delayed or cancilled after she is already on the road.

We are going to start working on this problem this summer.

******************

MV RELATED!!! Believe it or not!!! Our schools have, so far, been
delighted when I drive up in the duece. I have no weapons to mount on it
(drat) but have every intention of doing so when finances allow. My plans
to restore the M38A1 have again been placed on hold but I intend to get it
going again soon and hopefully will also be able to get a machine gun
mounted on it for the local parades.

I have taken the duece to the old elementary school two years ago just
before we moved and the kids were allowed to climb all over it. The
teachers asked me if I would bring it to school as they thought the kids
would enjoy the experience of seeing an "Army truck" close up. All peace
loving lady teachers and they loved getting in the truck also and blowing
the horn.

I am hoping to do the same before the end of the school year at both schools
this year also.

Hope to see you all at Aberdeen. Hope also to get some minor repairs to the
"Green Goblin" done by then also.

Bill Kealey

MVPA #24623
1954 Willys M38A1 USMC jeep
1972 AM Gen M35A2 USA 2-1/2 ton truck w/winch
1985 Turtle Mountain MFG. M105A2 USAF 1-1/2 ton trailer so my oldest son and
I can arrive in style.