RE: [MV] Vietnam History Day - Huey Landing

From: David Ashley (imjustdave@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 20:13:55 PDT

Amen, Ed

David Ashley

-----Original Message-----
Of Ed
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:39 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: Re: [MV] Vietnam History Day - Huey Landing

Being one of the resident "Old Farts" here on the list I will say in few
words what it was like and what it is now like. When I was in school I'
along with tons of other students, took my Dad's M-1 Garand to school
several times for show and tell. The chamber had to be clear and the
bolt had to be locked to the rear but other than that no problems. I
brought a couple of full enblock clips with REAL LIVE ammo loaded in
them. I also had his bayonet on the rifle in the scabbard, again no
problems. Most all of us kids had "easy rider rifle racks" in the rear
windows of our pickups, again with no problems. I never heard of anyone
getting shot at school. I never heard of anyone having their weapon
stolen from the UNLOCKED trucks in the school parking lot. We NEVER had
Police Officers stationed in the schools.

There are many reasons for the state of our country today but as far as
I'm concerned the basic problem is the TOTAL LACK OF DISCIPLINE at home
or at school. If my kids were growing up today I'm quite certain that I
would be in jail. I had three wonderful Daughters that are all grown
and have given me eight equally wonderful Grandkids. I used the paddle
when it was called for. All three Daughters are doing fine, no mental
problems, (well maybe one but then it's her husband and she loves him)!
:-) They are all respectful of my wife and me. They are respectful of
other adults, yes sir, no sir, yes ma am, no ma am are always used when
speaking to their elders. Their children are as respectful as they are.
  They were taught these things from birth and still hold them near and
dear. They worship God. They pray. They love their country and their
parents and their family. They respect people. They respect their
parents. They say what they mean and mean what they say.

If the entire country wasn't so uptight about being "politically
correct" and not being out of style the world would be a much better
place. If the rule of spare the rod and spoil the child were still
respected the world would indeed be a better place. Time outs just
don't do it people. Never have, never will. I have witnessed, along
with my wife, a 5 or 6 year old boy in K-Mart cussing his Mother out
with four letter words that I would have died before using them in front
of my Mother. If I didn't die and made it away from her alive I would
have been dead when I got home! THE MOTHER SAID, "NOW SON I TOLD YOU
NOT TO USE LANGUAGE LIKE THAT IN PUBLIC"!!!!!!!! IN PUBLIC???? Things
like that tell me all I need to know about why the world is going down
the tubes.

Sorry to use so much band width but I had better stop now because if I
go any further I'll tie up several megs!

Best Regards,

Ed