DEATH WOBBLE

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 01:37:16 PDT

Good Morning Boys ,
                                   The problems of wobble in steering
systems can sometimes be tracked down to a LOSS of drag designed into the
system ! On Landrovers this achieved by a preloading of the front hub
swivels by shimming ! A system that checks out fine in all aspects BUT with
the preload set to low will often on hitting a pot hole go into a wobble
that can only be stopped by coming to rest. The main agent had sold me some
new bushed ,joints Etc but could not help ------ When it persisted he would
have sold me tires , steering box , bearings , and more !
One day whilst daydreaming it came to me , half an hour later it was cured ,
AT NO COST !
On talking to the agent he admitted it`s a point he`d never thought of !
BIG HEAVY wheels need to be damped as close to the point of movement as
possible , not after the motion has passed through several links !

                   Just a thought fellas Noel