HMMWV smokes and loses oil pressure downhill

From: Vincent Bloom (vbloom@DUCTMATE.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 04:22:41 PDT

At our museum, we have a HMMWV that's running pretty rough. It
constantly pours out white smoke - at idle, under load, up hill, down
hill, etc. It's been suggested that it probably needs new injectors.
It has good oil pressure at idle - app. 45psi, but when you go down
hill, it drops down to almost zero. When you level out, it goes back up
to 45. According to the dipstick, it has enough oil. Other than this,
it runs great. Does anyone have any suggestions on these?

I haven't done much work on diesels in general, so any advice would be
appreciated.

Vince
www.armormuseum.com