Re: [MV] HMMWV smokes and loses oil pressure downhill

From: Stuart Robinson (stalwart@mac.com)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 10:19:11 PDT

On May 10, 2005, at 4:22 AM, Vincent Bloom wrote:

>At our museum, we have a HMMWV that's running pretty rough. It
>constantly pours out white smoke - at idle, under load, up hill, down
>hill, etc.

White smoke often means air in the injector lines. I got this from a
failed electric boost pump in my Hummer but it can also come from a
slight leak in the suction side of the plumbing in the fuel delivery
lines. A clogged filter can also cause this as previously mentioned.

>It has good oil pressure at idle - app. 45psi, but when you go down
>hill, it drops down to almost zero. When you level out, it goes
back up
>to 45. According to the dipstick, it has enough oil.

I've seen a broken oil pickup tube cause this. The problem is you
need to drop the oil pan to confirm . . .

Stuart