RE: [MV] your papers, please

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 07:19:08 PDT

Hi
All in all I don't think anyone should get their underwear in a twist over
this. From what I have read it is going to just be a standardized drivers
license when it is finally rolled out nationwide 3 years from now. All the
states will use the same exact drivers license design which will incorporate
a number of features that will slow down the wide spread counterfeiting of
drivers licenses which are being sold on campuses for 100 bucks these days.
For those people that don't drive there will be an ID card the looks like
the drivers license but does not carry the MV priveleges. It will save the
police from having to carry the book we had the had the info in it on all
the licenses and ID's from the 50 states, the territories and the Canadian
provinces and having to look up the info everytime you dealt with an
unfamiliar ID. On thing not shown in the link was the new License/ID will
have a single fingerprint on it also which will be able to be read by a
reader in the police vehicle which will compare the print with the digitized
strip info and the bar code to immediately detect a lot of the phonies.

Regards
Glenn