Re: [MV] {[MV] your papers, please

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 07:56:48 PDT

Hello Rick,

> I know that you will come back pointing out how we are
> all wrong but I still will disagree with you.

No, I don't disagree that it will be abused. I don't trust them
either, even though a lot of good will come along with the bad. What I
am saying is it is POINTLESS to oppose the adoption of technology. It
will happen, sooner rather than later, no matter what. Strong and
concentrated opposition (bitching to a Senator doesn't count) can only
accomplish a delay, at best. And probably for not very long (or in
this case not even a second). So the best that can be done is try to
have strong limitations put in place and adhered to. Just like phone,
cellphone, email, credit card transactions, and everything else we use
every day that government monitors. Even though their powers will be
abused, it won't be the sort of rampant 1984/Brave New World kind of
thing *if* people stay on their case. And I don't mean a few people
sending terse letters to Senators. I mean the likes of the ACLU, NRA,
Amnesty International, and loads of other watchdog groups that operate
here in the US. I would LOVE to count the free press in this, but with
the rise of consolidated partisan media... they can't be counted on or
trusted.

Steve