Re: [MV] Brake help

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 01:25:13 PDT

Hi Art ,
             If the system has got air in then bleed as for normal vehicle !
Start at the furthest and work back to the master cylinder !

I don't seem to see any movement in the fluid if I take off the master
cylinder cap, and press down on the pedal. Should there be any evidence of
movement?

You should see very little movement if any ! When pressing the pedal the
first operation in the cylinder is to seal off the reservoir , then further
movement due to pressure developing operates the wheelcylinders !
The valve that seals off will sometimes stick open if fluid is lost in a
system that is little used and cause brake failure ! I have known this
unfortunate occurrence to happen several times , systems that worked
perfectly, if disturbed ,ie fitting of a new pipe or wheelcylinder will
then not bleed !
Sometimes stamping on the pedal quickly will get the valve to reseal ,
otherwise the only solution is to overhaul or replace the master cylinder !

                         Best wishes Noel