Re: [MV] Cautionary tale re loading steel tracked vehicles

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 18:13:59 PDT

At 8:46 PM -0400 5/16/05, Robin Craig wrote:

>The owner of the carrier is an experinced guy
>but I have had a lot of hairy experience with
>steel tracked vehicles and steel surfaces. Let
>me tell you gentlemen THIS IS NOT A SAFE MIX. I
>know, there will be loads of you who clamour
>that you have done it many times without a
>worry, perhaps you have been lucky, but i would
>like to point out the dangers in the hope that
>just one person is avoided the aggravation and
>potential serious injury or death that could
>result from such an act.

I've experinced this in a different way. This
past early spring, I was loading a Carrier on a
rollback wrecker. As I mounted up the wrecker
with the carrier, moved up a good ways up the
deck and then stopped. But, as I stopped, the
carrier started to slide back slowly. It was like
ICE. Foot firmly on the pedal, I couldn't stop it
and hunched over and gripped the wheel firmly
waiting for that inevitable WHAM!! The carrier
got to the bottom of the roll back and simply
stopped. No wham, no bang, no problem. "Ok Mr
Wrecker driver, how about we winch the carrier up
that long ramp?"

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)