Re: [MV] rust converter to use in mil vehicle restorations

From: Cor Streutjens (cstreutjens@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 23:59:43 PDT

Hello List,

I have to correct some information I gave earlier, I apologise for
misinformation. The rust converter Fertan is not a Dutch product but of
German origin. There is a website www.fertan.de having an English section as
well. I have no connections whatsoever etc but my personal experience is
that it works well on military vehicles: after painting there is absolutely
no difference in texture between treated and non-treated areas and it will
keep for at least four years.

Regards,

Cor

Cor Streutjens
The Netherlands
1956 M38A1 Nekaf
1953 Roset 1/4 ton trailer
MVPA #25976

>From: "Bill Kealey" <cwkealey@atlanticbb.net>
>Subject: Re: [MV] rust converter to use in mil vehicle restorations
>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:59:50 -0400
>
>Dave,
>The rust converter does not just cover the paint but chemically changes it
>to a hard finish which can be painted over or left alone.
>
>I haven't used POR 15 and can't comment on it.
>
>The rust converter that I have used goes on with a cream colored thick
>liquid about the consistency of paint. Within about 30 minutes it turns
>black and drys. You can paint over it or leave it black. I have found
>that the rust converter will rust in the places that did not have rust when
>it was applied. Which since it only works on rusted surfaces (surface
>rust) the other places naturally are not protected and so, this is why I
>prefer to stop the rust then clean the surface if I am painting something
>to be pretty. I do not like to sand or sandblast metal, especially body
>metal as it is thin already.
>
>My present jeep project is going to be a frame up restoration once I get
>back to it. I will probably buy POR 15 as I have heard so much positive
>about it and there is a lot of surface to clean and paint.
>
>Hope this helps somewhat, Bill Kealey
>
>MVPA #24623
>1954 Willys M38A1 USMC jeep
>Associate Member USMC League - Mountainside Marines
>1972 AM Gen M35A2 USA 2-1/2 ton truck w/winch
>1985 Turtle Mountain MFG. M105A2 USAF 1-1/2 ton trailer
>
>1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
>Assoc. Member Rawlings, MD VFD
>MD DNR PD Alumni Association

Hotmail en Messenger on the move