Re: [MV] Rust 'Treatments' vs. 'Coatings'

From: David B (wdbtchr@excite.com)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 23:55:27 PDT

I've used POR 15 for several years with excellent results, and yes it is expensive. There are several ways I cut costs while not sanctioned by the manufacturer have worked for me.

I use naphtha for thinner in POR 15, stinks and needs a lot of ventilation. I do use their Marine cleaner for degreasing, but neutralize it with phosphoric acid cleaner available at home suppliers for cleaning floors and grout removal.

Spray equipment can be cleaned successfully with acetone,lacquer thinner, or MEK.

It can be top coated with regular primer if the surface is sanded or roughed up so it can get a grip. Their primer just saves sanding. POR 15 is good for filling minor surface defects as it is fairly thick and can be sanded to hide defects. I've also used their body fillers, they don't seem to let moisture draw through like the polyester fillers. Metal rusted to pin holes can be reinforced by backing it up with fiber glass on the back using POR 15 like resin.

I always wear latex gloves when using POR 15 because it won't come off if it dries on you hands. Also wear clothes you don't mind ruining because it won't come out of cloth.

And always put plastic over the can before closing, I use shopping bags, or it will weld the can closed.

My 2 cents worth.

David B
1953 Dodge M-37
1965 Kaiser Jeep M-51A2