Aberdeen trip experiments

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 04:16:30 PDT

Morning,

During the 800 plus mile roundtrip to Aberdeen, MD, we conducted a couple of
experiments.

1) Used a plywood with cut-outs to simulate the canvas winter front to keep
the engine operating temp close to "normal". The coolant temp was monitored
with the Fluke DVM/thermocouple.
On the level highway the temp stayed at about 185-190, downhill (6 mile 9%
drop) it fell to about 170 and climbing the same mountain the highest temp
noted was 201 deg F. Ambient temp was about 70 plus or minus.

2) Ran the first 250 miles on a mix of 50% homemade (unwashed) biodiesel and
50% petro diesel. No performance changes noted except for an exhaust that
smelled like a fast food restaurant. Was able to keep speed over 60 for most
of I-85 from South Hill to Richmond. If anything it seemed to have more
power than ever. Total weight about 20,000, crane-deuce plus M103A3 trailer.

3) Stopped for the night in Doswell and ran the next 160 miles on a blend of
25-30% of filtered waste cooking oil and petro diesel. Possibly some loss of
performance, but in convoy now and hard to tell.

Kenny (Recovry4x4) added about 5 gallons of cooking oil to his 1/2 full tank
before leaving Aberdeen last Saturday and may have something to say about
performance, although he may have been preoccupied with rain and other
problems.

As long as it stays warm out, I'll be using more cooking oil and biodiesel.
My cost for bio is now $0.65/gallon and the cooking oil is free. Saved close
to $100 in fuel on the trip.

Shameless plug: For more information and pictures, go to the steelsoldiers
forum and follow the threads on alternate fuels and Aberdeen pictures and
stories.

Cheers,
Bjorn
MVPA19212