Mmmmmm..... MULTIFUEL????

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 21:57:33 PDT

    We have folks going to great lengths to use fry-o-lator oils etc., but
is anyone with a deuce that isn't pegged for diesel only using regular gas,
either as a supplement or straight, during these periods of petroleum duress
in the states? ( I Know Nigel, you'd give your left man raisin to pay as
little in England as we Yanks pay for gas here, but that's for another OT
thread...)
    If you are and are using self serve, is it ok to wear a Texaco shirt at
a Mobil station while pumping? How prissy do gas station attendant
reenactors get if you don't follow the proper uniform type and colors. Are
there gas station 'stitch nazis'?
    I was a Gulf man in the late sixties- early seventies myself, 4 tours in
a preppy hell hole in Massachusetts that had the school that both Bushs
attended. Summer uniform was a blue pin stripped short sleeve shirt, dark
blue shorts, blue knee socks and a pith helmet. The shirt, socks and pith
helmet all had full color Gulf embroidery, (don't remember seeing any
subdued stuff).The shirt and socks also had a blue racing stripe running
down them. The crap I took from class mates was brutal, but tires and parts
at cost and unlimited use of lifts, tools and 'high test spillage' made the
care and feeding of a '64 Impala with a 327 and a Powerslide doable for a
kid in high school/ community college.
    The pumps had 3 wheels for Dollars and 3 wheels for gallons. And
Gulftane, a no lead fuel, (colloquially referred to as Weasel Piss or Ping
Juice, used only in Bugs, Corvairs, 2 stroke Saabs and occasionally '64
Impalas on Wednesdays and Thursdays) was around 24 cents a gallon, about 6
cents a gallon cheaper than regular. So why is No Lead so expensive now?
     Had a Medal of Honor winner from WWII that used to come in every Sunday
morning at 0800 and occasionally he'd clean up the Men's Room while we
filled his car..... I sheet you not. Said Captain on his credit card, but I
worked there for almost a year before my boss told me the story of this
quiet, polite guy with glasses who had a pair made out of stainless steel.
Wonder how he would have weighed in on folks portraying 'warriors' or
wearing uniforms and ranks they never earned while acting out battles or
impressions they 'read' about? Probably would have thought it a hoot to see
an MB or M38A1 painted Navy gray. But the make believe swabby better be
squared away. If not, it would probably be as much an insult to him as a
flag sewn on the seat of a hippie's ass. Think about it......
  Anyways, regarding the Petrol, Inquiring minds want to know.....

    Regards,
    Ronzo in NH

    PS And as I handed you your change, I'd chant the Gulf mantra " Thank
you very much. Come again, Drive carefully and always look to the Orange
Disc for the highest quality motoring products....." Ahhhhh, the (simple?)
good old days......