Re: [MV] USS America

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 10:29:12 PDT

At 9:49 AM -0400 5/22/05, m35products wrote:
>A tragic and ill-conceived event. "Test" indeed. Have the mugwumps in the
>Pentagon never heard of computer simulations?

Art, until you build something and really see if
it works, you don't know if your models are going
to be valid. They can be close, but why leave it
to chance?

>I just went to a steel supplier to get a small I-beam. Steel prices are up
>70% in one year. If nothing else, the ship could have been put toward the
>(never-ending) war effort.

Not with the amount of asbestos and other things
in it that would get the scrapper sued if it were
scrapped in the first world. That leaves it to be
sold for scrap in the third world. Frankly I'd
prefer that it not be sold for scrap and then
turn up in China like a couple of other aircraft
carriers have. China has a number of Aircraft
carriers. The ex-Australian carrier Melbourne,
and the ex soviet Minsk and Varyag were all
bought by the Chinese from scrapyards to study. I
for one would greatly prefer that they not get a
JFK carrier to study for weak points as well as
how to make a better carrier.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)