Re: [MV] Why didn't I think of this! OT

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 10:37:48 PDT

At 8:19 AM -0700 5/22/05, Mil-Veh Co. wrote:
>I was reading an article about how these new hybrids
>run on petrol engine to electric motor and back to
>engine all without hearing or even feeling a starter
>engage.
>
>ANSWER: Its because they don't have one! Least not
>in the conventional sense (see below). Wondering how
>long it will take the military to use this fantastic
>idea?

Actually, my Honda Insight has a starter as a
backup to the main electrical motor for starting
the engine. The system has a mode called
Auto-Stop where as you come to a stop at say a
stoplight, (in 2nd or higher gear or neutral) the
engine will turn off. As soon as you put it in
1st however, the engine is spun up to 1000 RPM by
the 14" 144 Volt Motor that's between the
flywheel and crank. The Electrical motor has
enough torque to boost engine performance (24
extra foot pounds for a sub 1 ton car with a 3
cyl 1 liter engine is pretty damn good)

>Imagine the bellhousing area of your engine has been
>replaced by a large electric motor which also acts as
>an alternator and a starter when needed.

Like this.
http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/enmotor.html

>Totally seamless, quiet and the design has removed the
>alternator and starter as seperate components which
>actually makes this method cost less than the original
>method and it's more reliable.

Yep, my insight has no alternator and has an electrical power steering pump.

>It's more economical, simple and like I said far more
>reliable....thats amazing isn't it?

I kind of wish Honda had made an MV back in the
Korean war, it'd be something to look at.
Reliability of an american MV with the gee-wiz
technology of a british MV of the time.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)