Re: [MV] USS America scrap

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 21:13:11 PDT

Ryan Gill wrote:

> Then please explain why they bought the Melborne
> in 1985 to act as a model and as a training
> platform (albeit static) for pilots to fly from
> and land on? Then in 2000 [snip]

Likely it's cheaper to modify or convert than build from scratch. Defense
contractors don't have lobbyists in China.

Get used to it. The Chinese are SMART. The US does not have any monopoly on
brains. Never had, actually. The Chinese also are willing to buy or steal IP if
it's easier or cheaper than developing it themselves.

I don't necessarily like it, but it's foolish to deny the facts. China is a
whole lot more than cheap labor. In the not very distant future, we will be
applying to them for 'most favored nation' status. Just go to any Walmart and
see who makes virtually everything there.

-John