Re: [MV] Aervoe Paint - Keeping fingers crossed....

From: Jeff (jcerniglia@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 21:00:11 PDT

Hey guys, a word of caution, always use some sort of
charcoal filter system when spraying paint or better
yet use a fresh air system, even if outside!! A friend
of mine was hurt bad from breating vapors from
painting Imron once, almost died, it attacked his
nervous system so bad.

Jeff

--- MV <MV@dc9.tzo.com> wrote:

> The hardener that I have used with the Tractor
> Supply brand, Majestic,
> Valspar, and Rustoleum brand industrial paints and
> others has been Napa
> Econo-Body #15118. It specifically says Sythetic
> Enamel Hardener on the
> front. I bought several pints of the stuff a year
> ago or so, but I'm
> running low again so I will be on the hunt for more
> soon. It used to be
> about $10-$12.00/pint but I think NAPA may be
> charging around
> $15.00/pint for it now.
>
> The ingredients are:
>
> Xylene
> Isophorone Diisocynate Polymer
> n-Butyl Acetate
> Ethylbenzene
> 1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene
> 1,3,5 Trimethylbenzene
> Light Aromatic Hydrocarbons
>
> The warnings:
> Besides being flammable..
> Overexposure may cause lung damage
> May cause allergic and respiratory and skin
> reactions, effects may be
> permanent
> Causes eye irritation
> Harmful if inhaled, may affect the brain or nervous
> system, may cause
> dizziness, don't eat the stuff, etc.
>
> I mix about 8 oz or half a pint per gallon of paint.
> I usually shake
> the can in a shaker to make sure there are no lumps
> first. Pour off
> part of the can, about a quart or so and put in the
> 8 oz of hardener.
> Shake the can again, and then hand mix the paint
> with the quart I poured
> off. I don't thin the paint unless I have too. If
> I do, I use plain
> old paint thinner and then only enough to allow me
> to spray it.
>
> I typically use a pressure feed spray gun with a 1
> qt cup for spraying a
> gallon or two of paint. Campbell Hausfeld sells one
> - you can tell it
> from the others since it has a knob just above the
> cup that allows you
> to pressurize the cup or turn off the pressure and
> use it as a regular
> siphon gun. These guns have external mix air caps.
> I've never had good
> luck with internal mix air spray guns. The last I
> looked they were
> going for about $55.00 each. I think it may be
> model DH 5200 ??
>
> Siphon guns are fine for thinner paints such as
> automotive enamel, but
> industrial enamel is typically a lot more viscous.
>
> Regarding the use of an air supply mask etc. When I
> was a kid I had
> chronic bronchitis, and then I had double pneumonia
> when I was a
> teenager. Regardless to say I don't smoke (I'd be
> dead by now) and I'm
> quite sensitive to the health of my lungs. When I
> first started using
> hardnener in paint I was living in Cincinnati and I
> [...]
=== message truncated ===