Re: [MV] My recent run in with the Commercial Vehicle Police - Indiana

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 11:36:21 PDT

Yep, you are right. But I've got a bonafide corporation and I'm dealing
with other corporations and they want everything to look right. Also I
think I would have had a hard time passing my rig for a "personal
vehicle". It's 66 feet long end to end and that's a big personal rig!

I think I can get by with that a lot easier with my M51 dump truck than
this rig. Plus if I keep everything commercial, my commercial liability
insurance is working and if someone drops something while loading the
truck, etc. I know I'm covered. Otherwise?? Who knows.

I probably could have gone with farm tags and setup a farm division of
the company, but those trucks are supposidly limited to 150 miles from
home base.

However from a commercial standpoint - the BS you have to put up with on
a CMV makes me wonder whether it is worth it. It certainly costs a lot
more than I had initially planned in both time and money. I've heard
that independant truckers are dropping out and I can see why. For a one
man show the legalities of trucking are pretty extreme with a lot of
upfront costs.

Dave