M1008 Alternator 1 troubles - solution

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 20:16:15 PDT

I just wanted to pass on a lesson learned.....

I recently got my M1008 running and I'm still learing
all it's quirks.

When I turned on the key, ALT 1 light was not coming
on at all, which I didn't think was right, but it
started and ran fine.....until I went to start it back
up at the camper/hitch store today. Luckily some dude
jump started me and I brought it on home.

I finally took the schematic, which I had already been
looking at and troubleshot it. Ended up, the ground
wire was not connected to chassis ground, like it
should have been. So, instead of wasting time trying
to find the other end of that wire (black with white
stripe), I just ran another ground to chassis.

Works fine now!!!

ALT 1 is the driver's side alternator, which charges
the front battery.

On another note, I ordered my personalized tag for it
today..."MY CUCV" I have to wait about 3 months for
some prisoner to make it.

Jeff Gatton
Saucier, MS