Re: [MV] Oh NO!..DOT

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 21:40:22 PDT

At 10:37 PM -0500 6/3/05, Mike wrote:
>The big question I have is do the regs say you
>need a Class A CDL for a trailer over 10,000
>pounds? I am strictly talking about weight
>here, not if it is commercial or personal use.

there's a Class A and then there's a Class A CDL.
Two technically separate licenses. There are
Class C CDLs too.

>Looking at the Mississippi manual:
>
>You must have a CDL if:
>
>A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds
>if the gross combination weight rating is more
>than 26,000.
>

>BUT, I have also seen it written elsewhere as: A
>combination weight over 26,000 pounds OR a
>trailer over 10,000. That would mean a 1/2 ton
>pickup with a flatbed trailer with two 5200
>pound axles would need a class A CDL.

Either or actually.

26,001 lbs or more and that's Class B.
10,001 lb or more trailer and that's Class A (and
allows driving a Class B and C type vehicle).

For me, I went ahead and took the test for the
Class A non-commercial so I could get a 10,001lb
trailer and be legal.

My one problem with Ga is the law is poorly
written such that the GaDMVS thinks that it's the
equipment that makes it recreational. The Federal
Guys say this is wrong and they're working on
getting all the states in line. I'm running down
an issue at Work whereby CNN Legal asked the
state about the licensing requirements for our
CNN Election BUS and the state said if it was an
RV that it didn't need a CDL or other special
Truck stuff. Problem is, it's used for a business
and has big advertising/logos on the side. Which
makes it commercial. ;-)

This actually helps me because I can use this as
additional ammo as to why the GaDMVS
interpretation of the federal requirement's is
incorrect.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)