Re: [MV] My recent run in with the Commercial Vehicle Police - Indiana

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 16:24:29 PDT

Yep, we pretty much had a roadside interview and inspection.

I think I may have been particulary unlucky that day. However I'm
having a hard time guessing what these DOT cops are going to get irked
about. I think the only thing to being close to a guarantee would be to
   be overly legal - get every possible license and permit you might
need, but that is expensive also. I really can't see buying trip
permits for when I drive a hour north into Michigan. I think it would
be easier to simply drive during off hours when the chances of being
pulled over would be much lower.

Re-reading the warning ticket I got for no CDL, it said I should be put
of of service for having a rear turn signal light out on my trailer. I
can see getting a warning or even a ticket - but being put out of
service? Seems a little extreme to me.

Especially when you consider some of the junk civy vehicles I see
driving down the freeway at 70 mph. You know - the ones with the bumper
held on with coat hanger wire..... and red tape over the rear lights
since the lenses have been busted out.

Dave