Re: [MV] Cummins run away

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 01:22:58 PDT

Joe,
 Tom is correct but all mechanics I ever met call
it a fuel injection pump. More than likely the
problem existed when you bought the truck. It
could be related to the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
Fuel they sell now. The actual part in the fuel
control area of the pump may be sticking due to
lack of lubrication causing the runaway. I'll bet
that is an old rebuild date on the pump predating
low sulfur Diesel fuel. The final fix is a
complete rebuild which should update the fuel
handling parts internally with parts that are
designed for Ultra low sulfur Diesel. Where ever
you have the pump rebuilt when you drop it off
demand the used parts be returned to you. Most
shops will do this without argument. This gives
you the opportunity to see the wear and handle
the old parts while the mechanic explains what
was updated be the engineers.

 Yes fuel conditioner will help maybe...there are
no certain guarantees short of rebuilding the
pump but motor oil is cheaper. In Desert Storm a
wheeled mechanic kept losing fuel injection pumps
on HMMWV's and after two failure's on one dipped
his hand into the fuel and rubbed it and found it
dry..the Saudi's were providing all the fuel we
needed but what was provided was Jet-A. The
mechanic then added one quart of motor oil to the
tank and 4 guys rocked the HMMWV to mix it. No
more failures and the word was passed post haste
to all units to add one quart of motor oil to the
fuel tank before refueling.

 I vote on not having fuel injection pump
problems.

 This is technically not legal but what I do is
add a couple of ounces of Motor Oil to the fuel
tank to give the fuel the lubrication it lost and
have noticed significantly smoother operation on
my M-1009. Seeing as the truck is a little large
for even four Men to rock side to side I would
premix the oil in a Gerry can then add it to the
fuel tank if possible.

--- joeyounginc@aol.com wrote:

> diesel man,
> Thanks for the info. I'm new to Cummins, having
> only
> worked on multifuels and Detroit (a little).
> What you
> suggest sounds very logical. Would this problem
> be
> caused by the truck sitting alot? Any chance
> that
> fuel conditioner would help?
> I'll see if I can rig up a way to check the
> pressure.
> Joe Young

James Shanks
85 M-1009