Re: [MV] Cummins run away

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 18:17:46 PDT

I'm far from a diesel expert like some guys here, but
I've wrenched on a few around the farm and here's my
take on a possible cause for what its worth:

You probably got some vapors getting into the intake
system and anything from natural gas, propane, etc.,
that may be in the local air can do it. Is this truck
parked near your propane tank?

Barring equipment malfunction such as your governor (I
take it you checked that one, right?) this could also
happen from dust that is combustable. Grain dust for
instance... sounds weird but it's possible, generally
without an airfilter though.

Injector pump, mmmmm... not likely a pump. It's gear
driven and it will only pump in accordance with
throttle linkage and you say thats ok, right? Like I
said earlier it could be a governor, but not the pump
itself, IMHO.

IDEA: You can install a flapper type valve in the air
intake to stop runaway diesels, that shuts off the
air. A fuel shut off in many cases won't do it. I.e.
ambient fuel source from propane or gasoline..keeps it
going.

You might want to check to see if diesel fuel is
somehow being introduced into the airfilter system or
is left over in the bottom of the cannister for the
filter...could be a source of fumes. Unlikely, but if
you have checked for all of the other possibilities,
might as well.