Re: [MV] Questions about a Transporter, Airmobile

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 10:29:12 PDT

At 11:55 AM -0500 6/14/05, Sarge wrote:
>Nope, never worked on the A1 model. But it certainly makes a lot of sense.
>Every once in a while a good idea actually gets implemented.

While poking around the CDK site looking for info on the M1022, I found the data. They changed the design a little to allow for the taller ISO spec containers too. There's also a kit for lifting the shelter/container from the side so you can put it on a cargo truck or trailer with minimal field kit..

http://www.cdkmobile.com/m1022%20full.htm

They've added ABS, lights, reflectors, fenders and other stuff to keep the euro weanies happy, and even a tool box. The container mobilizers a can also accomodate odd height containers with their end brackets where as the old M1022's were fixed height. Pretty neat system from what I've been able to see. More parts. But then it beats 20 soldiers loading and unloading 1 box car of crates to put in a cargo truck that'll need another 20 soldiers an hour to unload.

>Normally there are so many soldiers/airmen standing around you use "donkey
>power"
>You would be amazed what the lifting capability of twenty 20 year olds is.

Still, if it can be done with one guy and a small motor, it's cheaper in the long run. Motors require minor maintenance and no pay.

>If everybody gets a grip you can lift over a ton.
>I added all the fulcrum/lever stuff because I am just one fat old Sergeant.

Been there, except I was a 120 lb weakling working for my father. Physics and a bit of muscle power was how I was able to load 55 gallon drums of thinner into the back of a pickup with out a dock or lift. A bit of rope, blocks of wood and a lever go a long way.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -