Re: [MV] Questions about a Transporter, Airmobile

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 16:13:06 PDT

At 3:24 PM -0700 6/13/05, Robert Buettner wrote:
>Hello List-
>
>I was looking at some GL sales and found a
>Transporter, Airmobile. I thought it looked kinda
>neat and researched some more inforamtion on it and it
>said that it was for the lifting and moving of
>Electronic Equipment Shelters. So, now my question
>is, what is an Electronic Equipment Shelter?

Any variation of Rigid wall shelters. S250, S280, etc. Some are merely aluminum boxes with rings at the corners for tying down. Other more modern versions are built like ISO containers in 14' or 20' sizes allowing easy transport and loading on to ships. Gichner is a big manufacturer of these things.
http://www.gichner.us/
http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/field/gichner/

The shelters have become pretty fancy with all sorts of expandable and dockable versions. The electronic shelter you found is probably a variation on the S280. The ISO locks allow comparability with intermodal shipping systems and various schemes to lock them to trucks, ships and mobiliziers quickly and safely.

I'd like to find a 14' ISO type electronic shelter for my 5 ton. I'd then like to build a set of 4 hydraulic jacks so I can lift it on and off my 5 ton with out using a crane. I'd then convert the shelter to work as a camper for those long nights on the road to WWII events while towing my WWII armored car.

I'm sure some other list members have some details.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -