HMMWV PCB replacement

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 13:01:30 PDT

The old Prestolite protective control box in my M998 HMMWV appears to
have failed, such that the starter would not be actuated. I had to
actuate the starter with a bit of wire from the truck to restart the
truck and get it back home.

The replacement PCB that I bought is a KDS model CR-2699, with a green
label. I've read that this is a one-piece design, and it'll work fine
with any version of glow plug controller installed in the cooling
crossover pipe (or maybe even with a simple pipe plug there?). I think
that the previous owner of the box purchased it as part of a package
deal from Kascar, but didn't end up needing it.

Can any of y'all verify that this PCB should be compatible with my old
glow plug controller before I install it and attach power?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I drilled out the rivets holding my old Prestolite box together to
see what was inside, and found that a small transistor had blown up but
that everything else looks pretty clean. The box might be easily and
cheaply repaired, but I used this as an excuse to upgrade to a new
controller and stick in new glow plugs. I'm hoping that a better glow
plug controller will cure my truck's tendency to smoke and idle roughly
when restarted with the coolant temperature somewhere between cold and
normal operating temperature. My theory is that the coolant is warm
enough to keep the glow plugs from being cycled enough to get good
combustion, but not warm enough for the engine to run well on its own.
The problem doesn't really show up if the engine is cold, or if it's
warmed up all the way. I'll probably just scavenge the big relays and
contactors out of my old box for other projects, unless somebody out
there would like to buy the dead box and take a chance on being able to
repair it for a lot less than the price of a new box. I'm pretty sure
that it's the original Prestolite box, not the newer version that had a
tendency to spontaneously actuate the starter and/or set the truck on
fire. The model number on it is WSU-4006UT, and there's no version number.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/