M880 Woes.......slow starter

From: Cliff S (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 13:33:43 PDT

Does anyone have a clue as to why a starter would be slow, all of a sudden.
Is it just that time has caught up with it or has someone done some sabotage
to it (it sits near a main road and peole stop all the time by it) in some
way?

I cleaned all the posts and connections to the battery, dist, coil and
starter. I did not see a body to engine grounding strap. Is there one? I
have the manuals (on CD) but they are a pain to look through, but that will
be on the list this weekend of things to do.

Could someone have put something down the gas tank that would slow the
starter down that much, cause its REALLLLLLYYYYY slow. The oil and tranny
fluid LOOK good still. It fired right off like usual last time I ran it,
but stalled out after about 5-10 minutes. I was talking to a neighbor and
left it stalled while we finished our converstation. Could the result of
the stall, left, be a burnt ignition something?????.....after I left it with
the key on while we talked????

I am hoping that the starter has just died and that is the easy fix.

I have done all this trying WHILE a new Optima battery was installed (and
another 6TL before) and jumpers cables were going to try to get as much
juice as possible.........still no joy, slow, even with the jumper cables.

Any ideas guys/gals??????

Cliff Smith
SSgt USMC

M880 (4 sale, still, not that you want to buy it with this post!!!!!!)
M274A5
6K GenSet