Re: [MV] M880 Woes.......slow starter

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 14:29:36 PDT

Hi Cliff.
Several things come to mind, about starters in general, since I have
never worked on an M880.
1. Worn bushings. Finally worn to the point that the shaft is
binding.
2. Worn brushes. Worn beyond limits and no longer carry full power
to commutator.
3. Poor ground to chassis/battery from engine. There should be a
ground strap from the engine to the chassis/body.

Does the starter drive fully engage the flywheel and just turns over
slowly? If so, I would suspect the starter motor.

Frank Cox - 'Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW

Frank Cox - 'Nam 1966