Re: [MV] M880 Woes.......slow starter

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 19:57:18 PDT

If you lose a winding in the armature or if a high resistance develops
in one of the starter connections, it can heat up and the result is less
torque output from the starter. Generally they just finally melt down
due to the increased heat, and increased resistance, plus the fact that
frustrated owners tend to try to crank the engine over anyway, even
though it goes very slow.

I generally stop only after smoke starts billowing out of the old
starter. Then I start to feel better! (;->)

See if you can put a voltmeter on the starter when you crank it. If you
have something close to 18 volts on a 24 volt system or 9 volts on a 12
volt system when you are cranking the starter is probably trying hard to
crank the motor but it isn't moving, or is mechanically hanging up. If
you have less than half system voltage when cranking, then it is
probably screwed up and is in the process of melting down.

Check to make sure that the engine is free by attempting to turn the
crankshaft via the fan blades. (With the ignition off!)

Other than that, remove the suspect starter and have it load tested by a
starter shop.

Dave