Re: [MV] New Gismo??

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 07:45:18 PDT

But wait, it gets even better!

    Check out the SPORTs replacement, the MSD ICE at:
 http://www.miltope.com/pdf/msdice.pdf

    You won't be able to fix the future HMVs out back of the barn, all
because of the Clean Air Act!!!

" Military vehicle manufacturers have incorporated electronic data bus
controlled engine subsystems in order to comply with government legislated
clean air / emissions standards. The manufacturers have leveraged this
capability to include new electronically controlled transmissions, central
tire inflation systems, collision avoidance systems, anti-lock brake systems
and most importantly for the U.S. Army, vehicle diagnostics. These vehicles
are equipped with a variety of automotive data bus networks (J1708, J1939,
J1850, CAN, ISO 9141, etc.) and are entering Army inventory at a rapid pace.
They cannot be easily diagnosed using conventional analog test methods such
as STE/ICE-R. The MSD-ICE was developed to provide access to digital data
available from state of the art Army vehicle data bus networks, while
retaining the same test capabilities of the STE/ICE-R (analog) for legacy
vehicles."
Guess they feel that EMP is gonna be the least of their worries if the
balloon goes up with the "Inscrutable Orientals" in the next dust up.....
Bet the ChiComs still use points and coils in their toys.... Think our shoot
on the move superiority will make a difference after a 2MT orbital burst
over the Pac Rim and the fire control computers won't initialize?

    Didja know that when certain 'Blocks' of F16s fly into (or near) certain
airports, the airport has to shut down their approach radars so as to not
fry the electronics and the "fly by wire" controls, causing the aircraft to
crash ? And they talk about 'Ruggedizing" the equipment to survive future
battle fields....

    Didja know that there is no world wide frequency management clearing
house? That when the operating frequencies for SAM-D, aka PATRIOT, were
chosen back in the '60s, cell phones were not envisioned by the planners.
That when we deployed them to other countries to defend them from Saddam we
had all sorts of control problems with the remoted, radio controlled,
launchers and radars because what we consider "military" frequencies in the
US of A, are "civilian" frequencies else where? That Moshe calling home to
check on whether to pick up matzos, in line with the batteries receiving
antenna, caused the battery to switch from 'safe' to 'fire' status. That the
radars trashed cell phones and cell sites for 50+ miles down range of the
beam? That we had to warn the host countries when we went 'hot ' with the
units so they could shut down the cell system so we didn't damage it, and
also so that a random speed dial sequence didn't ripple fire a launcher?
BTW, they've 'fixed' that problem, or at least that's the manufacturers
story, and they are sticking to it....

    How about folks? Any other techno chuckles out there?

Gotta love it!