Re: [MV] To any and all concerned MVPA members and future members

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 12:31:22 PDT

I have been either listening to or making comments on this list for
probably 5 years or so now. There is a tremendous wealth on knowledge
on this list - no doubt. And I really appreciate everyone participation.

It has been quite a while since I have seen Jim Gilmore comment on
something on this list, however when he did I found that he was usually
correct.

Jim did not mince words when he knew he was was correct. If he knew
that I was wrong, or anyone else for that matter, he told us so.
Usually when he corrected a statement, he seemed to have 3 references
that he could pull out if needed, to back up his statement. I started
to think of the guy as a walking reference book and I really appreciated
his involvement in the list.

But in a board room setting where a number of other fairly assertive
individuals might gather, I can see Jim twisting a few nerves telling
someone else that what they were saying was simply untrue, and then
being able to back it up factual information, all within 10 seconds of
the person finishing their statement. That kind of quick to "respond
and correct" behavior can be seen as being agressive and intimidating by
many. It certainly sounds like more than one person on the board is not
happy with him, which is unfortunate since I would guess that whatever
Jim said and did was probably correct 99% of the time.

Jim reminded me of the really smart kid that was always in your grade
school class. That was the kid who would raise their hand 10 seconds
before everyone else to answer a question posed by the teacher - and
they always had the correct answer. By the end of the semester,
everyone in the class wanted to throw their books at that guy! But they
were always correct, even so.

That said, I think that perhaps the other board member need to grow some
thicker skin and appreciate Jim for what he has to bring to the table.
My guess is that some of the folks on the board are simply not very
tolerant.

I can't recall Jim ever saying anything on this list that I would
consider "inapproprate".

Dave