Re: [MV] Wet pavement traction, deuce tires

From: Sarge (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 08:59:44 PDT

Bjorn, I know that when you look at NDCC's, the natural assumption would be
that they handle and brake poorly on wet roads.
In the 1990's (when I was active duty) the military had multiple accidents
concerning 5-ton trucks, the -900 series, that would skid on wet roads when
the brakes were applied heavily. The number of accidents was so great that a
study was commisioned to find a safe fix. A Google search might find you the
results of this study.
A temporary stopgap measure was to limit -900 series trucks to 35 mph.
As many on this list already know, the -900 series 5 tons came with two
different wheel/tire combinations.
You had a choice between 10 tires with the duallies on the back, 11.00-20's
NDCC's if I remember correctly.
The other choice was six super singles, 14.00-20's, definitely not NDCC's.
The punchline of this story is.....
The wet skidding problem was limited to trucks fitted with the 14.00-20's
!!!
I don't think you will have any problems with the deuce NDCC's.
If you do, you can sue me!
-Sarge
PS. I'm broke.