Re: [MV] Diesel Tachometer on a CUCV?

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 03:49:19 PDT

I was looking through my old e-mails and ran across this old e-mail.

I found a tach that has a transducer that clamps around one of the fuel
injector lines and it was only $65. I bought and installed on my CUCV. I
mounted mine where the center dash vent should be. It is a little hard to see,
but it gives me the info I need. You can't see it at night because there isn't
a back light in it. It does have an hour meter and several timers built in to
it. It also holds the max RPM.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/diesel.php

Jeff Gatton

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=4392&cgrfnbr=501&ctgys=)
> and mount it adjacent to the magnets, and run the wires up to your
> tach where the points would usually connect. This can be a cheaper
> and more flexible solution since you are not stuck with the small
> selection of diesel-only tachs out there. The downsize is that most
> diesel tachs have lower maximum RPMs on the dial, and gas engine tachs
> have dials with higher RPMs.
>
> You have to set the tach to 4-cylinder mode because on a gas engine,
> the points fire one time per cylinder per 2 revolutions of the crank.
> That means that in a full 4-cycle cycle, the points fire 4 times for 2
> revolutions of the motor. This means that the points fire twice per
> each single revolution. If you place 2 magnets 180-degrees apart on
> your diesel, it will simulate the points closing twice per revolution
> and will indicate the proper RPM.
>
> Good luck!
>
> >Has anyone used an aftermarket tachometer on a CUCV? Of all the guages I
> >wished I had, engine RPM would be the nicest 'other' thing to know, so I've
> >been thinking of getting an aftermarket tach. Since most tachs hook to the
> >ignition system (which doesn't exist for a diesel), the only diesel
> >alternatives I've seen involve wrapping a sensor around an alternator to
> >register the number of rotations (actually poles) on your alternator to
> >measure engine RPM. For example, AutoMeter has a model 2888 diesel
> >tachometer that I'm thinking of getting (but it requires a messy calibration
> >in a shop). If anyone has ever used one of these products (or has
> >recommendations) please let me know.
>
> --
>
> Jim "Ike" Newton
>
> o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban
> 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine
> 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD
>
> o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half"
> 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine
> Air Shift Front Axle
> 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD
>
> See them at: http://www.CUCV.net
>
> ===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list==To unsubscribe, send e-mail
> to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com