M51 parts sources & brake MC rebuild

From: Dave Sofio (dave.nfesc@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 14:50:47 PDT

I'm just getting back on the list & need to know where good mailorder
parts can be found for my '67 M51 dump, finally in use (or would be if
not for leaky master cyl). Right now I'm talking:
1) brake master
2) brake master rebuild kit
3) fuel tank senders (2)

Regarding brake master rebuilding: With no money to spare, I recall
many a wasted hour honing and otherwise rebuilding much smaller MCs in
my youth, the subsequent painful reinstallations, the recurring leaks
(repeat as required...final step: buy new MC or send it off to have it
sleeved). Does anyone have definitive positive or negative experiences
with rebuilding these much larger-bored MCs, as on my M51? Are they
worth trying to rebuild? Mine is painted white (looks like it's been
rebuilt) and is clean enough to make me think that this was another
failed rebuild...I don't want to be That Guy again.

Mahalo,

Dave Sofio
Honolulu