CUCV VIN numbers

From: Michael Howell, DO (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:27:59 PDT

Does anyone have a good reference for decoding the VIN number of a
CUCV? I thought we talked about this recently but I can't seem to find
the reference. I seem to remember that one of the digits means military.
  I have spent the last hour looking in TM's and old email and can't
find what I want.. I did find this link:

https://73-87.com/7387info/8187vin.htm

My M1009 VIN starts with 1G8ED18J4GF. The above web site doesn't give 8
in the third position as a choice.

I need to know because the state rejected my title bond and the bond
company is saying the title number is invalid.

The problem is the bond states it is a 1985 while the title application
and the next to the last letter (G) list it as a 1986.

Mike in Tishomingo, MS