Re: [MV] m38a1

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 22:45:31 PDT

I have seen this, but not often. To avoid the risk of it, use one
fan and a resistor in series with it:

the fan will say 12VDC or whatever voltage. It will also state
the current, such as 0.08A or 0.12A or whatever.

do this math:

volts(VDC) divided by current(A) equals ohms

12VDC divided by 0.08A (or whatever the fan says)
equals 150 (ohms)

volts times current equals watts.
12 times 0.08 equals 0.96 (watts)

You need a 150 ohm, 0.96 watt resistor in series with the fan (in
the red lead) to run it on 24V. I know mil vehicles are 27.5V but
it's not critical.

You can't buy a 0.96 watt resistor, so use a 1 watt one. but for
safety factor, double it to a 2-watt size so it won't burn out.

So go to the electronics store and buy a 150 onm 2 watt resistor.

If your fan is 12V at 0.12A, then the math the same way gives a
100 ohm value required at 1.44 watts, so 100 ohms at 2 watts is OK.

Resistors come in 3 watt sizes also, and 5 watt, 7 watt, etc.

PJ

There you have done it!

PJ