Re: [MV] m38a1

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 07:11:06 PDT

The paper elements in use now by companies such as B&S may be too restrictive as
you suggested but, since they are fairly rigid in design, if they will allow
sufficient air flow they would be easy to mount and seal the edges. I honestly
did not think of the restriction in air flow. The older style sponge type may
be less restrictive. However, like cheesecloth, another option would be the
thin sponge type of filters that can be cut easily that are used to make regular
household airconditioner filters. This should block most larger crud but I
don't think will do much with smaller dust and dirt. But again, careful
placement of the unit would help with a lot of that problem also. For the
sponge type filter elements a very very light coating of oil on it will catch a
lot of the dirt and dust that normally will pass through. I don't like this on
engines as many people who actually read the engine manuals have a tendency to
place too much oil on the element and the oil itself restricts the airflow. I
would also be leary of using oil near this type of fan as my guess is that it
would be a fire hazzard.

As for playing with the electronics of the fan. I am not kidding, it is totally
beyond me. Anything mechanical works in my weak and feeble mind. Electricity
just does not sink in. <grin>

Good luck with the project!

Bill K.