Re: [MV] CUCV Bumm'n Me Out Pt.. well who's counting anymore?

From: Jeff Gatton (jdgatton@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 05:57:53 PDT

I think you or others have already mentioned all or parts of this....

Here's how I bled the fuel system of my M1008 recently--with good results.

-- Don't overheat starter by cranking engine too long. You may also have to
recharge batteries depending how long you crank. --

1. Remove glow plugs so your starter doesn't have to fight the compression
(engine will also turn over a LOT faster).

2. Remove hose from injection pump coming from output of fuel filter assy.

3. Put hose in a glass jar, crank engine until you have a good flow of fuel.

4. Reinstall hose onto injection pump.

5. Crack (about 1/2 turn) injection lines going into injectors.

6. Crank engine again until you get fuel at the injector lines. Mine didn't
have a very big flow of fuel here...it was more of a small bubbling of fuel
from around the line/nut.

7. Once you think you have fuel at all injectors, tighten nuts.

8. Crank engine again. If you are getting fuel and the injectors are working
properly, you should see a fog of fuel being blown out of the glow plug holes.

9. Reinstall glow plugs.

After doing all this, mine fired right off after the glow plugs cycled. I also
ended up installing a manual glow plug button.

Without heating the glowplugs, my truck doesn't even think about firing off.

Jeff Gatton
Saucier, MS