RE: Subject: [MV] WWII tanks as construction vehicles?!?

From: Adams-Graf, John (John.Adams-Graf@fwpubs.com)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 06:34:21 PDT

>>>I have heard rumors about companies that have used, and in some cases
are still using, surplus military tanks from WWII as chassis and the
basis for construction vehicles, such as rock drill mounts, earth
movers, etc. Does anyone know of any that are still used in this
manner, and where? Pics are helpful if anyone has some.<<<

The story about the Sherman that is now painted as the "Battling Bitch" and currently owned by Kevin Kronlund was found with one other Sherman by Frank Buck. They were being used as building demolition tanks on the east coast (apparently, the firm would drive the Sherman through the building to be destroyed).

Last summer during the scrap iron frenzy, I received a phone call from a "finder" friend who was standing in a scrapyard in Montana watching the torch cut another Sherman (no turret) into parts. It was brought down from Canada by a company that was using it as a log skidder. They just couldn't resist the scrap value of the vehicle.

John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA