RE: [MV] Cleaning a Gas tank from rust ideas?

From: David B (wdbtchr@excite.com)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 18:33:25 PDT

When I did the gas tank on my Case 580 tractor, I used phosphoric acid to clean the rust out of the tank. It eats the rust and leaves a black phosphate coating. I swirled MEK around inside to remove the water, could use alchol too, then lined it with two coats of Kreem, a fuel tank liner I got from JC Whitney.

This was in '98 and it's still holding up great.

David B
1953 Dodge M-37
1965 Kaiser Jeep M-51A2
1967 Kaiser Jeep M-54A2