M-1009 Starting Problems

From: Ed (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 17:23:00 PDT

Hi Guys,

My M-1009 has always been very easy to start. One or two turnovers and
she fires right up. Today she is winding up but not starting until a
VERY long cranking period has elapsed?? The glow plugs are not two
years old. The fuel is fresh from a VERY busy truck stop, the filters
were changed about three weeks ago, the light for the glow plugs goes
out at the same time that it always does. I changed the fuel injector
pump, (the big one that you almost have to dismantle the engine to
change), about a year ago with a NOS pump that had all the mods
completed on it. I'm at a loss!! What can be causing this? It took so
long to crank once that my batteries were showing signs of dying.

Both alternators are working fine, the charge indicator indicates charge
where it has always been in the green arc, not lower or higher, right
were it's always been?? The back battery is about six months old and
the front is several years old. They are both 6TLs and have fluid to
the correct levels. I did swap the front and the rear and it still took
a while to start??

Can someone please give me an idea of what to look for?

Thanks,

Ed