Re: [MV] M101A1 Info - Age

From: Sarge (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 05:44:14 PDT

Chris, I can't help with Army or Marine serial numbers, but if your 101a1 is
USAF, here is the answer.
72K36 is a typical USAF marking.
1972 would be the year it was put into USAF service.
'K' denotes that it is a tactical vehicle.
36 denotes that it is the 36th tactical vehicle of that specific model put
into service by the USAF in 1972.
An M101 would use the designator 'L' instead of 'K'; this would denote a
tactical trailer.
Don't ask me why.
So if your trailer was 69L1234, it would be the 1234th M101 put into service
in 1969.
Make sense?
If your trailer has US Army stencilled on it, none of the above applies.
There has to be an ex motor pool grunt on this list who can answer the
question.
C'mon lurkers, let's hear it!
-Sarge