Re: [MV] M1009 Glow Plugs Head busted off on new Plugs.

From: Jim Stead (Gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 11:00:12 PDT

You can probably use a broken bolt extractor to remove the glow plug
remains. I say probably because I've never done it. You may need to drill
into the glow plug remains to make a suitable hole for the extractor. As you
turn the extractor to the left, it will screw itself into the broken plug
deeper and put more left pressure on the remains to loosen them. Since this
is a new plug, I think this will work very well for you.

One the remains are out, check the threads in the head. It may be that the
old glow plug was not screwed in all the way and the final threads in the
head are all gummed up. Or, maybe there's part of an old plug stuck at the
bottom. The idea of pulling out the injector is a good one. You can use that
access hole to put a tube into the area under the glow plug. Connect the
tube to a strong vacuum. You want to try and suck out any debris that falls
into the chamber as you work on the bad threads. You could use a tap to
chase the threads but make sure that vacuum is on! Also, don't use a bunch
of oil to lubricate your tap. The dry loose particles are more likely to be
sucked out by the vacuum than are heavy drops of oil mixed with abrasive
carbon or metal grit.

Jim