CUCV starter relay interchange

From: John Doherty (mofta@hiwaay.net)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 12:28:27 PDT

CUCV gurus,

I recently experienced the starter relay 'melted contact' syndrome, and
didn't get the cables loose quite fast enough, and followed up with the
'melted fusible link flash' on the firewall, much to the shock of my
granddaughter.

Well, I remembered making the note about using a NAPA Echlin AR135 relay for
a replacement, and picked one up. But, it doesn't work as is, and a new AC
Delco 15591718 relay works perfectly. Made me curious.

I noticed the extra blade on the AR135, and need to find out what I didn't
note earlier about the replacement. Is there a jumper wire or something
that needs to be installed to make the AR135 relay work? Anyone got the
explanation of the differences.?

I did notice that both the AC Delco and the Echlin were both manufactured in
China.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good ol' made in the USA heavy duty
replacement that works as a plug in?

Thanks
John Doherty
Henagar, AL