RE: [MV] First military vehicle, and your help is appreciated.

From: Stu (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Mon Jul 18 2005 - 09:53:50 PDT

Hi!
It would e great to meet. No, the Blazer will do 65-70mph with no problem.
Changing the pressure switch will help solve problems you don't even know
about yet, like hard starting when the weather is 55-60 degrees and colder.
It is the round thing under the filter on the filter base. It is THE MOST
common problem with all CUCV's, and if not bad yet, it will be. I am
blanking out as to the distributor's name, but I will get it for you. $10
fix. It cost me $1000 to learn this. If it's bad it will seem if you have
an air leak in the fuel line allowing the diesel to drain back to the tank
making it very hard to start without burning up the starter. This item is
only in the military version of the truck. It's your choice, but I
wouldn't convert to 12v. The ONLY part of the truck that is 24v is the
starter, everything else is 12v. The 24v starter has more power for
starting. You will still need two batteries to start a 12v. Even the civy
diesels use 2 batteries.
It's the pickup version with the top speed of 55mph. That's because of it's
gearing. It is very HD and is a 1.25 ton cargo truck. I just sold my
Blazer to another member in the club. I just bought a M1008 pickup version
to pull camper and for use in snow from local FD. The Blazer, M1009, is
different gearing and can't tow as well, but goes much faster with a little
better mileage.
If you have a problem getting it running I would be glad to come to you to
go through the truck, or if it is running you are welcome to come here with
it. A good friend of mine and member of the club is in Weare and is a real
Guru on the most military trucks, if not all. He is a retired Concord
fireman.
If your buddy has never worked on the military diesel's he might not know
all the tricks of the trade on these, since they are different then civy.
Another main problem with these trucks is the glow plug system. If the
solenoid or controller card goes bad (pretty common in time) you will fry
your glow plugs and the will swell and be very hard to remove. Most of us
have converted to a manual system with button to push to fire it up.
I could go on for hours on these trucks. I learned everything either from
the guys on our list and the hard way ($). I have been in the hobby for 10
years starting with restoring a 1952 M38A1 Willy's army jeep, then my 1967
M151A1 army jeep and trailer.
I'm sure others on the list will chime in with help as you need it.
I would say the members of this list are great help and have a lot of
knowledge. Have a thick skin, patience, and realize that those of us in
this hobby have very unique personalities, but will help you solve most
problems
Have fun with it and enjoy!
My son works for a dynamic dns company in Manchester. Still trying to
figure out what he does. My wife works in Boston at New England Med Center
and uses the Blazer to go there is major snow storms for safety, and I sell
real estate.
Oh, and your truck has posi rear also.

       "Stu"
Southern NH, USA
"Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790

1967 M151A1 Jeep 1964 M416 Trailer
1986 M1009 CUCV Blazer 1985 M1008 CUCV Pickup