CUCV Saga.....ALMOST Over

From: Tom Kelly (tjk2356@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 15:23:55 PDT

I went out this morning with the intent to install an electric fuel pump
near the tank to pressurize my fuel lines and see if I had any leaks
that could have been sucking air. Imagine my surprise/dismay as I got
splashed with gasoline! Probably not a good thing, the CUCV being a
DIESEL and all.....What in the world!! I have no idea how it got gas in
it.

I hooked up the electric pump and drained over 4 gal. of gas out of her.
I put in 2 gal of diesel, and drained almost 1 gal out until I was happy
that it WAS diesel. I got 2 Jerrycans worth of diesel and poured them
in. I finished installing the electric fuel pump, drained the fuel
filter, and purged it of gasoline, and got it back together. I then
removed all the glow plugs, cracked open the injector lines, and turned
her over about 5-6 times at 15 seconds per time, until I was sure I had
diesel and not gas at the injectors. I then tightened up all the lines,
turned her over 3 more times for 15 seconds, re-installed the glow plugs
and cranked her over, she STARTED!!!!!! Woo -Hoo!!!

I let her run for about 15 minutes, then shut her down so I could remove
the jury-rigged electric fuel pump since it wasn't needed. When I tried
to restart her the starter just makes a whiny noise but doesn't turn the
engine....What in the world! It had been threatening me for a while I
guess she finally died. I'll probably pull it and take it to Gen-Star to
see if they can rebuild it, because I think new ones are in the $250.00
price range (OUCH!!) If anyone knows of good prices on a starter feel
free to contact me off list.

 Anyway, except for the starter I think the CUCV lives again, and
hopefully my problems are over, and now I know about CUCV's (more than I
ever wanted to know).

Thanks for all your help through this ordeal - Tom